What’s mainstream news not telling you? Quite a lot, actually. But that’s a problem Sarah Jones (@SarahJReports) endeavors to remedy as editor of the new monthly online publication “Public Servants BEARING WITNESS”.
Public Servants BEARING WITNESS serves as a supplement to mainstream news’ output. P.S. BEARING WITNESS was created to help maintain an informed public by covering the major international stories mainstream media has missed or oversimplified.
P.S. BEARING WITNESS is also a home for journalists to print the stories their editors won’t publish. Some of the contributors are part of mainstream media, other are freelancing in countries mainstream news thinks you don’t care about. Some contributors use pen names. Our philosophy is that if someone in the world has encountered a situation that affects others it’s our job as journalists to bear witness and report all sides of the story.
In this first issue alone P.S. Bearing Witness’ stories include:
- What’s the Deal with Mali? (Feature Article)
- In Memoriam: Journalists We’ve Lost in January 2013
- Reproductive Rights in the Phillippenes
- Can Police in America Use Your Silence Against You?
- Burma’s Airstrikes in Kachin State
- US Supreme Court to Hear Challenge of Voting Rights Act of 1965
- US Supreme Court to Hear Gay Marriage Case
- Wikileaks & Bradley Manning
- The Egyption Brotherhood
- UN urged to refer Syria to War Crimes Court
- Aid Money in Haiti
- “God’s Particle” Machine Getting Upgraded
- Astronomers Discover Largest Known structure in the Universe
- Gay Bishops in the Church of England
- Pakistan’s Sectarian Violence
The stories in P.S. BEARING WITNESS are fully illustrated using images obtained through creative commons licensed images.