Several West Papuan activist groups have been calling for a boycott of tomorrow’s elections in Indonesia.
The “Boikot Pilpres 2014” video above features Benny Wenda of the Free West Papua movement in the UK, Dr. John Ondawame of WPNCL in Vanuatu, and Papuan political prisoners Victor Yeimo, Filep Karma and Forkorus Yaboisembut speaking from jail.
The situation is tense in West Papua as the election approaches, and at least 23 activists have been arrested for speaking out already. Indonesian police and military have actually threatened to shoot anyone calling for the boycott, forcing the campaign underground.
Dr. John Ondawame
Boikot Pilpres 2014!!!
More on tomorrow’s elections:
- PAPUA FIGURES URGE BOYCOTT OF PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION VIA VIDEO
- Papuans Urged to Boycott Polls in Protest
- Jelang Pilpres, Ini Seruan KNPB Untuk Rakyat Bangsa Papua Barat
- Ini Seruan KNPB Untuk TNI/Polri dan TPN PB/TRWP
- Media release – West Papua on “Siaga Satu” (full alert). West Papuan leaders call for a boycott
- Woman in Kaimana arrested for distributing leaflets calling for a boycott
- Lagi, 7 Aktivis KNPB Ditangkap TNI di Timika